Superior embedded software for dual-role products
Augmenting the capabilities of the TrueTask® USB host stack and the MCCI USB DataPump® USB device stack, MCCI's TrueTask Dual-Role USB stack provides the equivalent of a peer-to-peer USB environment. Two standard specifications are supported: USB On The Go (OTG) and the DRP (dual-role port) features of the Type C connector.
- OTG’s “dual-role peripherals,” are peripherals that can function either as hosts or as devices using HNP (Host Negotiation Protocol) and SRP (Session Request Protocol) across a micro-AB cable.
- Designs using the USB Type C™ connector normally do not use the features described in the USB On The Go specification. instead they use the role-switch features provided by the Type C and USB Power Delivery specifications. The TrueTask Dual-Role USB stack supports Type C role switching (DRP) on suitably equipped platforms, as well as detection of audio and debug accessories and sensing/control of the Type C Rp/Rd-based power profiles (default, 1.5A and 3.0A).
- Some proprietary designs use standard Type A and B connectors, and negotiate role switching via other mechanisms. MCCI's TrueTask Dual-Role USB stack provides an API which supports application-controlled dynamic role-switching.
- When used with hubs equipped with Microchip's FlexConnect technology, TrueTask Dual-Role USB stack supports dynamically switching roles throughout the USB tree, and automatically walks the tree to configure the role switch based on a single API call.
Role-switching drivers for the following chips and IP blocks are available.
IP cores, including
- Synopsys DesignWare SuperSpeed USB 3.1 IP (including USB 3 OTG, and USB 3.1 Gen 2)
- Synopsys DesignWare High-Speed USB 2.0 OTG IP
- Cadence USB host and device IP
- Mentor Graphics Inventra High-Speed On-The-Go IP (MUSBMHDRC)
SOCs with embedded dual-role USB controllers, including
- Freescale i.MX6 family
- Renesas RX, RZ, and R-Car families
- Samsung Exynos family
- Texas Instruments OMAP family
- NXP LPC1850 family
Dedicated USB dual-role controllers, including
- Renesas R8A66597 high-speed USB device controller
Role-switching USB hubs, including
- Microchip USB84604 USB 2.0 Hubs with FlexConnect technology
- Microchip USB5734 USB 3.0 and USB5744 USB 3.1 Hubs with FlexConnect technology
In addition, we support a wide range of legacy and special purpose devices -- contact us if you don't see what you need.
Features and Value-Add
MCCI’s solution provides additional value beyond an implementation of the USB specification:
- Designed from the beginning for cell phones and other complex, embedded products
- Built on the industry-proven MCCI USB DataPump device stack, greatly reducing risk
- Scales from non-OS and pre-boot environments to fully featured multi-core operating systems (Windows 10, Linux, etc.)
- Extensively configurable, from memory consumption to feature-set
- Platform architecture allows reuse of TrueTask USB host and USB DataPump device integrations across product lines
- Optimized for lowered power requirements and longer battery life
- Hardware, platform, and operating system independent
- An end-to-end solution, tailoring support options to meet customer needs
- Backed by MCCI's know-how and 20 years of experience delivering USB for embedded applications
MCCI Embedded Host and OTG Architecture Diagram
Standards and Protocol Compliance
Host support is provided by the MCCI TrueTask USB host stack, and offers full support for the USB 2.0 and 3.1 specifications.
Device support is provided by the MCCI USB DataPump® and similarly offers full support for the USB 2.0 and 3.1 specifications.
Contact us for more information and a product brief.